A vegetarian full English breakfast – the peak of British hangover cuisine. My version with smoky, marinated halloumi ‘bacon’, fried slivers of potato, slow roasted tomatoes, garlic mushrooms, creamy scrambled eggs and fresh avocado. Yes.
For lazy weekends with those you love.
Serve with glasses of freshly squeezed orange juice and lots of buttery sourdough toast.
Looking for more delicious halloumi dishes? This recipe is taken from How to Cook Halloumi – vegetarian feasts for every occasion by Nancy Anne Harbord – available in colour hardback and e-book. A dazzling array of super colourful, incredibly tasty halloumi recipes for brunch, dinner and parties!
Vegetarian full English breakfast
roasted tomatoes with sherry vinegar
- 300 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
fried slivers of potato
- 400g/2 large potatoes
- few leaves of rosemary sage or thyme
- 25 g butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 large flat mushrooms
- 1/2 pack halloumi thinly sliced
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
creamy slow-scrambled eggs
- 8 eggs
- 2 tbsp double cream
- leftover chana masala if you have it!
- 1-2 avocados thinly sliced
- 4 slices sourdough bread
for the tomatoes
- Heat the oven to 150°C. Slice the tomatoes in half and lay on a baking sheet, cut side up. Dab a a little vinegar onto each tomato half and sprinkle over the oregano. Roast for about an hour until dried out, but still a little moist. Season with a little flaky salt and plenty of pepper.
for the potatoes
- Slice the potatoes thinly (about 2mm), then stack the slices and cut into 1-2cm diamond shapes. Heat a good drizzle of oil over medium heat in a heavy frying pan until hot. Sprinkle the potatoes in an even layer and leave to cook undisturbed until a crust has formed on that layer (a few minutes), then sir and repeat. When everything is nicely browned, chop the herbs and sprinkle over with ¼ teaspoon flaky salt and plenty of pepper.
for the mushrooms
- Raise the oven to 200°C. Mix together the butter and garlic and season if using unsalted butter. Arrange the mushrooms, gills down, on a baking tray and roast for 10 minutes to remove some water. Take out of the oven, spread over the butter and roast for a further 10 minutes.
for the halloumi 'bacon'
- Mix the nutritional yeast and paprika with about 2 tablespoons oil on a flat plate. Coat the halloumi slices and marinate for 20 minutes. When you’re ready to serve, heat a heavy frying pan over medium heat until hot and fry the slices until well browned on both sides.
for the eggs
- Beat the eggs to combine and season with ½ teaspoon flaky salt. Heat a little butter or oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until very creamy and just cooked. Drizzle over the cream.
- If you’re worried about timing, everything except the eggs can be kept warm in a low oven. When everything is ready, reheat the chana masala (if using), slice and season the avocado with a little flaky salt and toast and butter the bread.