Vegetarian halloumi bacon – this recipe is very simple, but there’s something about it that can make you animalistic. Thin slivers of halloumi, seasoned with smoked paprika and the powdered umami that is nutritional yeast – its savoury, meaty flavours enhance everything it touches.
Make the best ever vegetarian full English breakfast, stuff into sandwiches, stir through carbonara or layer in a burger...
Use halloumi bacon wherever you need a little extra smoky, savoury flavour. So everywhere.
Looking for more delicious halloumi dishes? This recipe is taken from How to Cook Halloumi – vegetarian feasts for every occasion by Nancy Anne Harbord – available in colour hardback and e-book. A dazzling array of super colourful, incredibly tasty halloumi recipes for brunch, dinner and parties!
- ½ pack halloumi thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed rapeseed oil or chilli oil
- Mix the nutritional yeast and paprika with about 2 tablespoons oil on a flat plate. Coat the halloumi slices and marinate for 20 minutes.When you’re ready to serve, heat a heavy frying pan over medium heat until hot and fry the slices until lightly browned on both sides.Return to the marinade-covered plate, rub over the remaining seasoning and serve immediately.